Sunday, August 27, 2006

Letter to the author of "The Corporation"


Some years ago I have seen a documentary entitled "The Corporation" and found really mindbreaking, so I send a email to the author of the script and book where the movie is based. At that time I was a apprentice in my path of pessimism and i receive a hopeful response. It's transcripted literally below.





QUESTION:
Hi, my name is tárik kaiel from Brazil. I saw your documentary on
CableTV and really find it amazing, it's completely changed my way to
see the world, the capitalism. In my philosophy of life/world, I have
always have a certain grief with capitalism, but I know that comunism,
anarquism or wathever are not that better either. So a really want to
congratulate you for your book, and your script, but a what I really
want to know is what your doing now, whar are your projects for the
future.
My other question is about the future... do you think we can still
save this planet, this sociaty?
Right now, after a lot of things, not your movie/book, I came to
realize that I have a very pessimist aproach of the future. Do you
think still exist hope for humanity? We will not destroy this planet,
end his resources? Won't we destroy ourselves slowly? If you think
it's possible, what can we do? What can I DO???



ANSWER:
Thank you for your note and your kind words. It is easy to understand why you feel pessimistic, but it is crucial to continue to hope, not for utopia, which is impossible, but for greater humanity. We are capable of it as individuals, and in communities; it is always a question of creating social orders that reflect the humanism inherent in us. What we need to do is believe in that, and take action - any action - to try to realize it. We have to see ourselves, and act like, citizens - members of communities with the responsibility and power to create just and humane governance.

Best,
Joel

No comments: